Sunday, August 8, 2010

Which Is Less Wet? Drier vs. Dryer

As a quickie, let me clarify this little question. If you wish to write about something that is comparatively more dry, you write drier. If you mean a machine or other device that makes something drier, you want the word dryer. A dryer makes things drier. Personally, I avoid the whole things by using "more dry" but technically the comparative form exists. Now excuse me while I makes the driest martini ever while drying my clothes.




According to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, drier can be used both as the comparative form of dry, and as an alternative spelling for the machine that dries something.